Leaderboard
728x15

AFROPUNK 2016 MY EXPERIENCE

Large Rectangle

AFRO PUNK, founded in 2003 by Matthew Morgan, started as a documentary spotlighting Black Punks in America.  It has now become a voice to thousands of multi-cultural kids fiercely identifying with a lifestyle path-less-traveled.
Described by the New York Times as “the most multicultural festival in the US,” the word AFROPUNK itself has become synonymous with open-minded, non-conforming and an unconventional community.
I loved what this festival represent and how it spoke to my inner self.  In my youth I listening to Korn,  Dave Matthews Band and attending raves.  I was always one of,if not the only, thrashing black girl in a crowd.  It was something that I kept hidden and rarely allowed my friends to see what CD I was listening to in my diskman. It was hard and felt very alone in my music choices in high school.  It wasn't until college that I learned to be myself no matter what. This is what AFRO PUNK represents.

I  learned about the festival about 3 years ago. I said every year I would make it but  kept missing the opportunity to go.  I made it my 2016 goal to attend AP this year.  
Better than just attending,  I received the opportunity to work within the organization this year.  I spent the pass week working the event pre events as well as work AFTER DARK events.  I didn't get a lot of time inside the festival but got one day to taste, see and experience the festival.  
Here are a few photos I took while there. 

MUSIC

FELL IN LUV WITH SKUNK ANANSIE
THIS GIRL WAS GETTING DOWN!!!! LOVE IT

VIP CANGA LINE TO SOCA WAS EVERYTHING





STYLE



STYLE TIP: WEAR EXTRA COMFORTABLE SHOES














MORE STYLE PHOTOS AT +Curvysta 

AWARENESS


SURVIVOR OF BREAST CANCER  PUSH  GENDER EQUALITY








ARTIST WORKING ON THIS PIECE DURING THE EVENT
 What an amazing time for this event.  I can not put into world what I felt but if I had to I would say it felt like love and lavender.  Cant wait for 2017.  See you next year AFROPUNK


Banner